The Vinmetrica SC-300 Pro Kit
The Ultimate Winemaker’s Laboratory
One lean, mean wine analyzing machine.The SC-300 Pro Kit combines the SO2 detection of the SC-100 and the pH/TA analysis of the SC-200 into one power-packed instrument. Plus, with the added precision and convenience of the accessories provided in the SC-300 Pro Kit, you have a powerful compact Wine Laboratory at your fingertips! It’s built on the same hardware and software as our other two analyzers, so the accuracy and precision is superb. And it’s just as easy to use ? The audible buzzer and visual stop light will automatically let you know when your tests are done! Because it does not rely on a color change, the SC-300 eliminates the guesswork in Ripper sulfite tests, especially in red wines!
The SC-300 Pro Kit gives accurate SO2, pH and TA values. Kit includes everything to perform about 50 sulfite tests and 30 TA tests.The Vinmetrica SC-300 SO2 and pH/TA analyzer has been paired up with the following accessories:
- The Lab Support Stand
- Vinmetrica Electrode Holder
- The Double Burette Clamp
- Magnetic Stirrer
- Rinse Bottle
- A Small Tube of Burette Detergent
- And Your Choice of Burette:Either the 10 mL Glass Burette or the 25 mL Glass Burette.
Trying to figure out which size glass burette to purchase? Both sizes are able to measure accurately within 0.2 mL, however the 25mL option is easier when you are conducting multiple tests because you will not have to refill it as often as you would the 10mL option.
Now you can measure SO2 and pH/TA quickly and easily so you can focus on what matters, making high quality wines!
Already have an SC-100A, SC-200 or SC-300 but want the added convenience and precision of having your own Laboratory? Check out the Deluxe Lab Accessory Kit which will give you added convenience, making a large number of sulfite tests easier and further resolved.
Complete Wine Testing Kit: Includes Everything Needed to Analyze Sulfite (SO2), pH and TA (Titratable Acidity) levels in Your Wines & Musts:
- The SC-300 SO2 & pH/TA Analyzer Unit
- One SO2 electrode
- One pH electrode
- SO2 & pH/TA reagents
- 25 mL sampling pipette (for SO2)
- 5 mL sampling pipette (for pH/TA)
- Two titration beakers
- Two 5 mL syringes
Additional Tests: The SC-300 can also perform tests for residual sugar and dissolved oxygen with the addition of the Vinmetrica Residual Reducing Sugar Assay and Vinmetrica Dissolved Oxygen System.
- Two transfer pipettes
- Vinmetrica’s Electrode Holder
- a tube of Burette Detergent
- One Magnetic Stirrer
- Rinse Bottle
- One Lab Support stand
- One 10 or 25 mL glass burette
- One Double Burette clamp
- The SC-300 Pro Operating Manual
A Quick Overview – Wine Analysis Procedures with the SC-300:
Easy SO2 Test
- Press the power button, change to SO2 mode and press enter.
- Attach SO2 electrode. Draw up 5 mL of titrant into the syringe and place 25 mL of wine in beaker.
- Add ~2 mL of the acidifier and ~2 mL of the reactant to wine.
- Place and hold the SO2 electrode in the wine sample and swirl beaker.
- Add titrant from syringe dropwise until 15 second long endpoint signal reached.
- Multiply the titration volume by 20, the SO2 conversion factor, results in ppm Free SO2.
Simple pH Test
- Attach the pH electrode, set aside storage solution, rinse with DI water and blot gently with a paper towel.
- Press the power button then press the ‘Mode’ button and switch the SC-300 into ‘Cal’ mode.
- Calibrate using the pH 4 and pH 7 reference standards provided. Put the SC-300 in pH mode.
- Take a 5 mL sample of wine, place it in the beaker. Take a pH reading.
Accurate TA Test
- For the TA test, withdraw 5 mL of the TA Titrant with the syringe.
- Take 5 mL wine sample and add ~15 mL of deionized water.
- Put SC-300 into TA mode, place clean pH electrode gently in solution.
- Add TA Titrant from the syringe dropwise until the endpoint is reached indicatedwith the visual and audible signals. Record the volume (in mL) of titrant used.
- Multiply the titration volume by 2, the TA conversion factor,results in g/L Tartaric Acid.
How It Works
The SO2 function improves on the tried and true Ripper Method by eliminating the guesswork in colorimetric analysis and replacing it with digital detection indicators.
It uses an amperometric electrode and replaces the iodine reagent with a more stable reagent. Its ease of use and accurate amperometric titration method vastly improves on the original Ripper Method.
The SO2 Titrant reacts with the sulfite in the wine. When all the free SO2 is titrated, the endpoint is signalled by visual and audible indicators. The test endpoint is much more sensitive than the starch endpoint commonly employed for sulfite titrations. It’s sharp and clear, even when titrating red wines and musts.
Once the syringe titration is complete, determine the titration volume (which is the difference of titrant you started with and its final reading on the syringe) and multiply it by20(the conversion factor).
The conversion factor takes into account the known concentration of the titrant and some simple unit conversions to determine the ppm Free SO2 in your wine sample. So for example if you used 1.2 mL of SO2 Titrant during the titration, your equation would look like this:
1.2 mL X 20 = 24 ppm Free SO2
The SC-300 also includes a pH electrode and reagents for calibration and determination of pH and titratable acidity (TA) values in wines and other samples. The pH value is simply determined by placing the calibrated electrode into a sample and reading the value. TA is determined by titrating a 5 mL sample of wine to an endpoint pH of 8.2* with the TA titrant (0.13N NaOH) from the syringe in the kit. From the known concentration of the TA titrant and its volume required to reach the endpoint, the TA is simply calculated (results are in units of g/L tartaric acid).
Watch our How-To Videos for the SC-300
How to Test for SO2
How to Calibrate pH Electrode
How to Measure pH of Wine
How to Test Wine for TA (Titratable Acid)
- Sensitivity: detects less than 2 ppm Free or Total SO2 in a 25 mL sample
- Accuracy: +/- 2 ppm Free or Total SO2
- pH range: 1.0 to 13.
- Accuracy: better than 0.02 pH unit.
- Autocalibrate on pH 3.00, 4.01, 7.00, 10.00
- TA mode: Accuracy: +/- 0.2 g/L Tartaric acid.
- Sensitivity: Detects down to 0.2 g/L Tartaric Acid
Why Choose Vinmetrica’s SC-300?
Where else will you find a single, compact instrument that can measure sulfite (SO2), pH and TA (Titratable Acidity) levels throughout the fermentation and aging process? Even in Red Wines!
– It’s Accurate:
SO2: 2 ppm Free SO2
TA:0.2 g/L Tartaric acid
pH: better than0.02 pH units
– Quick: Less than 2 minutes per test!
– Easy to use: No mystery solutions, pumps or tubing.
– Affordable: About a $1 per test!*
– Dependable: All of our instruments come with a 2 year warranty. The pH/TA and SO2 electrodes come with a 1 year warranty, and reagents come with a 6 month warranty.
* SO2 (Sulfite) tests cost less than 75 / test (the cost of the reagents per test). If you do a combined pH and TA analysis, the cost of reagents for the pH/TA test is approximately $1.12 / test.
For more details about operation and running the Vinmetrica SC-300 Pro Kit:
Check out the SC-300 Manual
Simple as that!
We’re Here For You
Customer Support is available Monday through Saturday 9 am – 5 pm!
We are committed to providing the best support for our products. We hope that we can assist you in making our products work for you. If contacting us after hours or on Sunday, feel free to leave a message, by phone or email, and we will return it as soon as we can. Our contact info is below!