The Vinmetrica Yeast Assimilable Nitrogen (YAN) Kit
The Vinmetrica YAN Analysis Kit gives you confidence to run your YAN tests accurately and quickly. Kit includes everything to perform ~30 tests: Formaldehyde solution, YAN Neutralizing Powder, pipettes, and conical tube.
Testing for YAN just before primary inoculation will allow you to make needed adjustments for a successful fermentation. Yeast Assimilable Nitrogen (YAN) is the combination of amino acids, ammonium ions, and small peptides. Wines with high YAN concentrations typically have increased formation of ethyl acetate, acetic acid and volatile acidity (VA). Wines with low YAN concentrations are more susceptible to a sluggish fermentation as well as production of sulfur compounds like hydrogen sulfide.
Complete Kit Includes Everything You Need for Your First 30 Tests.
- YAN Reagent – 37% Formaldehyde/15% methanol (PN: SC-200-14-1)
- YAN Neutralizer Powder (PN: SC-200-14-2)
- 15mL Conical Tube
- 3 transfer pipettes
- The User Manual
The YAN Test Kit utilizes the pH function of either your SC-200 or SC-300. If you do not have our SC-300 or SC-200 pH meter you will need a comparable pH meter (0.02 pH resolution required). You will also need:
- Vinmetrica pH 4.01 and pH 7.00 Reference Solutions, or equivalent solutions for pH calibration.
- Vinmetrica TA Titrant and accessories provided in the SC-200 or SC-300 Kit.
- 10 mL (preferred) or 25 mL glass burette, or syringe for TA titration
- Distilled water (DI water), which can be found at most grocery stores.
- Rinse Bottle (PN: SC-100-17)
Simple To Use
- Press the power button. Attach the pH electrode to your SC unit.
- Ensure electrode is properly calibrated before navigating to pH mode.
- Clarify wine sample, if needed. Check and adjust pH of Formaldehyde Solution.
- Perform a TA Titration on your sample. Add YAN Formaldehyde Solution, mix well then re-test TA.
- Calculate YAN, in mg/L, using simple equation.
How It Works
A sample is titrated to pH 8.2 with TA Titrant (this gives the TA value as a bonus). Then the YAN reagent (formaldehyde) is added. This causes any amino groups or ammonia to become formylated, releasing one proton per amine/ammonia and lowering the pH. The sample is then titrated back to 8.2 as before. The YAN value is calculated from the volume of TA Titrant used in the second titration.
CAUTION! The YAN reagent (formaldehyde and methanol components) is flammable. Keep away from sparks and open flame. The YAN reagent is TOXIC and a possible CARCINOGEN! Do not inhale fumes or ingest any solutions containing it. Do not pipet by mouth! Perform all steps with formaldehyde in a fume hood or similar well-vented environment. Wear laboratory gloves and safety glasses at all times when handling formaldehyde. If contact with skin or clothes occurs, flush with plenty of water and apply a solution of the formaldehyde neutralizer powder (1 tsp/50 mL water).
Watch Our How-To Video for the Vinmetrica SC-100A
- Measures down to 20 mg/L of available nitrogen with accuracy of 10 mg/L of available nitrogen.
- Enough for 25 tests (only $1.28 per test!)
- 1 year shelf life
Simple as that!
For More Details Check Out The:
YAN Analysis Manual
More information about YAN:
We’re Here For You
Customer Support is available Monday through Saturday 9 am – 5 pm PST. We are committed to providing the best support for our products. We hope that we can assist you in making our products work for you. If contacting us after hours or on Sunday, feel free to leave a message, by phone or email below, and we will return it as soon as we can. Our Contact Info is below!